About Us

The Dublin Games Guild is a wargaming club based in Gamers World in Dublin city centre. We meet on Wednesdays from 6pm onwards. We have dozens of members who play a huge ranges of games Warhammer 40,000, ,Warmachine/HORDES, 15mm, historical etc. Come join us any time or email us on dgg@gregfarrell.org to arrange a game

Sunday, 9 December 2012

Pictureless musings on Daemonic journeys with IG


Hiya folks,
as the title says if you want pretty pictures then move on, nothing to see here on this post.


As some of ye know, I have been dabbling with IG of late and while they are based, they are unpainted because I do not honestly know if I will stick this course. So why did this course start? Flyers in a word, I don't like their ascendancy in 40K. The reasons are I think in a fluffy world of FNP Terminator troops, semi-invulnerable Daemons, robots saints and sinners (yes Thawn I mean you) that will not lie down quietly, that they have an all too non-fluffy relative invulnerability but tres commercial value in 6th Ed IMHO that will be eroded over time after many of us spend the cash to play GWs game (the real one not 40K). Daemons really don't have a decent answer to fliers (and before you state what I now know perhaps skim to the end).


I am a big fan of 6th Ed as it has the perfect answer for any army outside of Nids to any tactical problem ... Allies! So for anti-flyer I turned to IG after the Helldrake disappointed me personally in terms of both the model and its AA abilities (after all the pre-release hype).


First pass was shooty guard and I brought an allied contingent to replace my 2 Tzeentch Daemon Princes more or less points wise. I don't want to change my core ground assault Daemon list as I like the build. I opened with :
Fortification: Aegis Defence Line with a Quad Gun EmplacementHQ: Company Command Squad (CCS) with an Autocannon and an Officer of the Fleet Troops: Infantry Platoon with an Autocannon in each of the Infantry squads, a Commissar in one squad and 4 Flamers in the Platoon Command Squad (PCS) which typically rode in the Vendetta.Fast Attack: 1 Vendetta Gunship with Heavy Bolters.


What did I learn?
(a) If you don't hide the CCS they get taken out pretty quick which makes the Officer of the Fleet a useless spend
(b) More guns are needed for reliable AA duty(c) Heavy Bolters are a waste of time in this list for what the Vendetta has to do(d) Sometimes it's better to run than stand and fight (even if you get run down)(e) Sometimes orders fail!(f) The unit in the Vendetta will generally crash and burn so it's probably not a good idea to have passengers and if you do then don't kit them out.


Take 2 served me well at the most excellent Dominion Day 6 tournament in Belfast where I placed 3rd.
I ran changed take 1 slightly :-
Took vox casters on the CCS and dropped all the special weapons. Dropped the PCS special weapons. Dropped the Commissar and added a Hydra.

What did I learn?
(a) People cannot resist trying to take over your Quad gun, almost happened in 2 out of 5 tourney games but didn't.
(b) People fear the Quad gun so either it or the shooters will die quick, the shooters if there is not a lot cause you went with BS4 or the gun if you use the blob at BS3.
(c) Hydras scare people with flyers but they are not a hard target.
(d) Autocannons (even with plenty of shots and orders) are just not reliable at killing flyers
(e) Vendettas should hunt in packs
(f) Read the rules John, Grav Shute deployment is cool and some IG players know just the unit to put in them!
(g) the Take 1 and Take 2 approaches were too static for my daemon play style and as such were boring.
(h) Officer of the Fleet doesn't work very often (1 game out of the 5 in the event TBH) but when he did he definitely contributed big time to the big win!

So third and final take is a less static build and one that 'fits' the Daemon list in not just a synergistic way :-
HQ: Primaris Psyker with a preference for TelepathyElite: 7 Battle Psykers plus an OverseerTroops: Veteran Squad with Harker as the SargeantFast Attack: 2 Vendetta Gunships


So far this list feels the best fit for me, my Daemons and my playstyle. The Psykers deploy (and hide if necessary) at the outset and just add mischief to the list harassing back field Missile troops with Flak missiles who have intent to hurt Fatey. Taking Fearless away from fearless units is a very interesting tactical option as is Psychic Shriek on debilitated Leadership units. The Vendettas are a far more serious and reliable AA option, one might die early but the other (carrying the vets) tends to get the key kill(s) and gets to deploy the mischievous Harker Vets. 


I like this build because it has the rogue Psyker feel along with the assassin vets and is far more dynamic and tactically flexible which fits the way I like to play my Daemons (i.e. aggressively and in the opponents face), taking the fight to the enemy where I dictate. This is gonna get a run for a while and if I don't find this one fitting the bill I may go back to the 2 Tzeentch Daemon Princes (who I do miss to be fair). The only regret with this build is dropping the Officer of the Fleet but I am not prepared to break up my Daemon list of 9s for the sake of the IG which are only a support act (and a model that is even more randomly effective than the Daemons LOL). Not the most rational or WAAC rationales for list building but hey, the reason I switched for 6th was to enjoy a change and I am enjoying my Daemons and will only entertain things that add to the entertainment if you catch my drift.


So I am coming full cycle and as a Necron player of old am starting to feel more and more that flyers should be treated like Monoliths in 5th and largely ignored except for the few instances when you cannot, in which case you deal with them as best you can. For the meantime, I will play with Take 3 until it proves boring and ineffective.

9 comments:

  1. So which of the two games do you enjoy playing the most John ? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reasons are I think in a fluffy world of FNP Terminator troops, semi-invulnerable Daemons, robots saints and sinners (yes Thawn I mean you) that will not lie down quietly, that they have an all too non-fluffy relative invulnerability but tres commercial value in 6th Ed IMHO that will be eroded over time after many of us spend the cash to play GWs game (the real one not 40K).

    In your statement above John you say GW's game not 40K, now as you started out with a pure daemon army & then added in guard with flyer's that you don't like are you not then playing both games John ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I was implying the merchandising game but I get you now Frank and yes buying the IG is playing their games. Sorry for being so slow LOL under the weather at the moment. Ironically I am getting to the point where I don't believe I need to play that second game which is one of the key messages of the blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is this list still holding firm after more play testing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is this list still holding firm after more play testing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good list but I went back to the All Tzeentch Daemon Prince list for my final outing at the Shack Attack 2 and recorded a respectable 5th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now we go full circle LOL
      http://midnightclad.blogspot.ie/2013/03/tzeentch-assassins-most-evil-in-game.html

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete